Friday, October 19, 2012

Rock My World, Part Two

Remember my rocking chair poll from last week? Allow me to explain.

I'm going to spend a small fortune on a rocking chair for the nursery. I fell in love with a particular chair ages ago, and I already knew I was going to buy it when I created the poll. Many of you will think I'm out of my mind when I reveal how much this chair costs--87% of you, in fact (and you're probably right).

One of my readers referred to rocking chairs as an investment, and I wholeheartedly agree. To me, the rocking chair is the most important part of the nursery. I'm going to read a million stories and sing a million lullabies in this chair. It's where I'll kiss away a million tears and evoke a million giggles. Since I'll be spending so much time in this chair, it has to be super comfortable.

When our children have outgrown their mama's lap, I'll move the chair into the living room, so it needs to be able to move seamlessly from room to room. Oh, and it has to be pretty.

It also has to be very well made. I want to rock my grandchildren in this rocking chair, and tell them all about how I used to rock their mommy or daddy in that very same chair.

Okay, I'll cut to the chase. Here's the chair:

The beautiful Monte Joya Rocker that stole my heart.

Are you ready for this? It's $995. I know, I know. But my mind's made up, and it'll be my only splurge, I promise.

So, this is where the poll comes in. It was a tight race right up until the very end, but according to my dear readers, I should spend approximately $300 on a rocking chair. I've already admitted that I'll be spending a whoppin' $1,000. That's a difference of $700.

To offset this $700, I plan on saving money elsewhere. Every week, I'll buy something for the baby from Craigslist or Ebay, and the amount of money I save will go toward this $700 difference. So, say I score a $200 stroller on Craigslist for $100. The $100 that I saved will be "banked," and I'll have to save $600 more to justify purchasing my glorious rocking chair.

Danny has already pointed out that this challenge is completely illogical because I'm spending money to save money, but it's my game, and I make the rules--and I don't care if none of it makes sense.

Speaking of rules, here they are:
  1. Any item I purchase from Craigslist or Ebay has to currently be on one of my registries. (Yes, my registries are already done. Hello, Type A.)
  2. I purchase my rocking chair in early January, whether or not I've reached $700. (I highly doubt I will, but this is my game, remember?)
There you have it! Get ready for Thrifty Thursdays, where I'll be sharing my purchases with you.

5 comments:

Paula @ Beauty Through Imperfection said...

this just made me smile! :) love your "game"!

the rocking chair is pretty awesome too. I honestly have no idea how much my chair cost because my MIL bought it for me, but we've had it for 2 years and it is not as comfy as it once was so maybe investing is not such a bad idea ;)

have you considered cloth diapers? that will save you TONS of money (literally thousands of dollars by the time your kid is potty trained) We use cloth and I love it, way easier than I was expecting.

anyway, so excited for you!!! motherhood is incredible <3 paula

KMac said...

I love that chair! I am now considering it too (and I voted no more than $300!). :)

Amanda said...

Get it! I'll feel less guilty if I know I'm not the only person who buys a $1k rocking chair! :)

Amanda said...

Hah! I'm glad at least one person doesn't think I'm insane.

I've been considering cloth! My husband and I aren't the most organized people in the world, so we'll see... :P

Paula @ Beauty Through Imperfection said...

lol awww I'm not super organized either, but I stay home with the kids so it's not too hard for me to do a load of diapers every other day (easier than remembering to buy diapers! lol) If you plan to stay home it's really not a big deal in my opinion anyway. We started doing it just to save $ but ended up LOVING it. lol

I wrote a post on it a few weeks ago, now that I have 2 in cloth I wondered if I would still think it's easier, and I honsetly do!
here's a link to that post if you are interested :)
http://www.hopefulfuture.blogspot.com/2012/10/10-things-i-love-about-cloth-diapaering.html

can't wait to see pictures of your sweet baby!!! <3