Thursday, November 1, 2012

Party in the Woods (By Danny)

We had our 17-week ultrasound on Tuesday. Our doctor had said we may be able to find out the sex if we wanted, but we thought we would be able to restrain ourselves. We thought wrong. I already KNEW it was a boy; I’ve had a feeling since Amanda told me she was pregnant. Seeing his little weenie on the screen just validated my beliefs.

Amanda was convinced I would have been upset if it was a girl, but I wouldn’t have been.

Knowing this baby is a boy makes this all so much more real. During the ultrasound, we were able to see his entire skeleton and beating heart, which is incredibly creepy and really cool at the same time. We could also see the outline of his face. HIS FACE! Fortunately, our boy has a pronounced, defined chin, and he did not inherit that trait from me.

Already, I’m daydreaming about having guys’ night with my boy, about taking him to movies, teaching him to lift weights, and maybe even going for motorcycle rides together. Things that I wish I could have done with my dad, I’ll get to do with my son. Maybe he’ll grow up to be a cop like his old man…

When we first learned about Baby Celis #1, our first angel, it was right around this time of year. I remember feeling uneasy and completely unprepared for fatherhood. Amanda and I had decided that we needed to go get married as soon as possible, so we made arrangements at the courthouse for a November 4th wedding.

The night before our wedding, I went out for a drink with my best friend Joe. I was telling him how I thought I wasn’t ready to be a dad and how scared I was. Joe proceeded to tell me that it would be great:

“It’ll be like in Robin Hood when Little John comes down out of his treehouse yelling, ‘I HAVE A SON!!!’ and everybody starts partying in the woods. It’ll be great, we’ll take our kids camping together, you’ll yell at my kids and I’ll yell at yours when they’re goofing off… you’ll be fine.”


Those images stuck with me after losing our first two babies. For a while, it seemed like they might never come true. This ultrasound is one step closer to that party in the woods.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Am I allowed to comment on this? Because I really, really love it. This is my 5th read, and it still got me all teary eyed. You have a son!

Anonymous said...

I got a little teary eyed reading this, Danny. You guys are going to make awesome parents! Thank you for sharing this with us :) Mindy

Anonymous said...

You guys are Awesome..Cant believe its almost been a year since I first met you two love birds.... You two will be Awesome parents and I cant wait to be one of the first people to take his picture and "show him off to the world"...

Being a parent changes people, for me it made me a way better person and changed my views of the world in a great way... There is just something so unbelievable when we realize its not about us, Its about making somebody that will be better then we ever will be..

Have a great day and Happy Anniversary
Frank

Melissa said...

Mindy - ALITTLE teary eyed... I'm currently sitting here at my desk streaming. Danny and Amanda - YES - you are both going to make AWESOME parents, and John and I could not be happier for you guys!!! Can't wait to party in the woods for you and your family! xoxo (Meliss & John)

Unknown said...

A boy! YAY! I just pray he likes sleep unlikmy red headed fire cracker! You two are going to be awesome parents. The fun parents that Tue other kids are going to be jealous of! And Amanda his little guy friends are all going to have a crush on you! Insert his name here, and sing " mom has got it going on!

Nicole said...

This made me want to cry. So happy for you and so well written .